Brian M. Karpf is a Florida Bar Board Certified divorce and family law lawyer and mediator, working in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Naples, and throughout Florida. He is a partner in the firm. A South Florida native, Mr. Karpf graduated cum laude from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science degree in 2004 where he was president of his Fraternity. Mr. Karpf received his Juris Doctor from Florida International University in 2007. He was also distinguished by the CALI Excellence for Future Award in Intellectual Property law, a recognition given to the student with the top grade in the course.
Mr. Karpf is an expert and specialist lawyer in Divorce and Family law, having become a Board Certified in Marital and Family Law Attorney by the Florida Bar.
Mr. Karpf is AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and was named by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Family Law for 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. No more than 2.5% of lawyers under 40 years old receive this honor. He was honored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as one of South Florida’s Top 40 Lawyers Under Age 40. He also received the Rising Star Award in South Florida Business and Wealth’s Leaders in Law awards.
As an attorney, Mr. Karpf focuses his law practice in the areas of Family and Divorce Law, Appeals, mediation, Prenuptial (“prenups”) and Postnuptial Agreements, surrogacy / assisted reproductive technology, mediation, and International Child (Hague Convention) Abduction Cases in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Weston, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Palm Beach, and Naples. As a divorce and family lawyer, he has represented high net worth clients, celebrities and athletes and is routinely involved in complex family law cases involving divorce, child custody and timesharing, alimony, equitable distribution, business valuations, prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements, contempt as well as international custody disputes. He is also a divorce, paternity, and family law mediator. Mr. Karpf has lectured on a variety of family law, legal and social media issues.
Mr. Karpf also handles Assisted Reproductive Technology issues. This includes surrogacy representation (of both surrogates and parents using a surrogate for childbirth), all assisted reproductive technology agreements and contracts (surrogacy, egg donation agreements / contracts, sperm donation agreements / contracts, paternity, and adoption (including step parent and same sex adoptions).
Mr. Karpf has served on the Executive Council of the ABA Family Law Section Section since 2010 and is the past chairman of multiple Section committees. He was also appointed by the President of the Florida Bar to serve on the Family Law Rules Committee until 2017, and was elected to the Board of Governors of the Florida Bar’s Young Lawyer’s Division. He serves Board of Directors of KidSide, whose mission is to provide funding to ensure that Family Court Services can continue to serve the needs of children and parents suffering from family conflict. Mr. Karpf is also a fellow of the Florida Bar’s Leadership Academy.
Mr. Karpf has been interviewed on a variety of divorce and family law topics by entities such as E!, Law360, The Miami Herald, Daily Business Review and others, to give insight as a family law and divorce attorney. He is widely active in legal and family law organizations both nationally and locally.
- Florida Bar’s Practicing with Professionalism Seminar, Miami, 2016 (Chair & Moderator)
- Slippery Slope: Counseling Clients to Alter Their Social Media Content; Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Miami chapter) 2016
- Produced a full day Law Practice Management Symposium and presented on Technology Hot Tips. ABA Family Section Conference, May 2016.
- Social Networking for the Family Lawyer: What You Need To Know about Ethics, Evidence, & Discovery
- Evidence for Family Lawyers
- Social Networking for the Practicing Attorney
- Identifying and Solving Tax Issues in Family Law Cases
- Social Networking for the Family Lawyer: Evidence, Research, Marketing, Ethics & More
- 100 Days Before Trial-No Time to Lose (Producer)
- Labor and Employment Law for Family Law Practitioners (Producer)
- Thinking Inside the Box: Creative Internet Research and Investigation for the Family Lawyer (Producer)
- Why Amber Heard and Johnny Depp’s Divorce Case May Just Quietly Go Away After Its Bombshell Beginning
- Amber Heard And Johnny Depp Reach a Divorce Settlement – Her Shocking Lies Uncovered In…
- Amber Heard ‘grilled for seven hours by Depp’s legal team’ over domestic violence claims
- Could Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s divorce battle ‘go away quietly’?
- What Amber Heard Testifying Against Johnny Depp Means– For Her, For Him, For Their Divorce3 and For the Millions of People Watching Via E!News
- 5 Things You Should Leave Out Of A Client Pitch
- Permanent alimony may finally end in Florida
- “Florida Courts Shouldn’t Treat Families Like Businesses”, Daily Business Review, July 2012
- “The Civil Contempt Conundrum” , Florida Bar Family Law Section, Commentator, Fall 2012
- Board Certified in Marital and Family Law by the Florida Bar Board of Specialization and Education, 2015
- Board Certified as a Family Trial Advocate by the NBTA
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator
- Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017
- AV rated Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 in South Florida, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- 2015 Rising Star Winner, Leaders in Law Awards, South Florida Business and Wealth and Lifestyle Magazine
- 2015 Finalist, Up & Comers Award, South Florida Business and Wealth and Lifestyle Magazine
- 2011 NITA, ABA Trial Advocacy Institute
- CALI Excellence for Future Award (Top Grade in Class), Intellectual Property Law
- Florida Bar
- Family Law Rules Committee July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2017
- Board of Governors, Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, 2014-Present
- Chairman of Technology Committee (2015-2016; 2016-2017)
- Chairman, Basic Family Law Course 2015
- Liaison to Florida International University, School of Law
- Committee Member: Communications (2014-2015); Diversity (2014-2015); Technology (2014-Present); Pro Bono (2015-2016); Professionalism (2015-Present); Section Outreach (2015-2016); Practicing with Professionalism (2016-2017); Annual Convention (2016-2017)’
- Florida Bar Leadership Academy, Class II
- State Delegate, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Assembly: 2010 Annual Meeting, San Francisco; 2014 Midyear meeting, Chicago; 2014 Annual meeting, Boston.
- American Bar Association
- Member of Family Law Section:
- Executive Council Member, 2010-present;
- CLE Committee, 2012-present;
- Chair, Law Practice Management and Technology Committee, 2013-2016, Vice-Chair, 2011-2013;
- Co-chair, Sponsorship Committee (2016-Present);
- Liaison to the Young Lawyers Division, 2010-present; Chair, Young Lawyers Committee, 2010-2013, 2014-2016; Vice-Chair, Host Committee, 2010-2011; Co-Chair, Host Committee, 2011-2012; Member Benefit Development Committee, Executive Member, 2009-2011, Sponsorship Committee, 2010-2012; Strategic Planning Committee, 2015-2016
- Young Lawyers Division: Liaison to the Family Law Section, 2010-present; Vice-Chairman, Family Law Committee, 2010-2011; Assistant Editor, Affiliate Newsletter, 2011-2012; Mid-year Meeting Host Committee (Miami 2017).
- Member of Family Law Section:
- North Dade Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Broward County Bar Association
- Weston Bar Association, Board of Directors
- First Family Law American Inn of Court
- Emerge Broward
- Young Emet Society, Founder