Maria Mitropoulos-Gonzalez was born in Havana, Cuba and raised in the United States. She attended the University of Miami and received her Bachelor of Science degree in 1981 and her Paralegal degree in 1985. She graduated from Nova University, receiving her Juris Doctorate in 1990.
Ms. Mitropoulos-Gonzalez is a Board Certified Marital and Family Lawyer by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education as well as a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator. She was appointed as chair of the Family Law Certification Committee for 2010-2011 and is immediate past-chair of the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar.
- "Hot Tip: Effective Case Management Conferences", The Family Law Section, Commentator, November, 2010
- "Final Judgment Checklist", The Family Law Section, Commentator, December, 2009
- "Frozen Embryos, Divorce, and Needed Legislation: On the Horizon or Has it Arrived?", Vol. 83, No. 4, 2009, The Florida Bar Journal
- "Representing a Party with Tax Issues," Vol.22. No.4, The Family Law Section, Commentator, 2007
- Co-authored the Electronic Communication Statute, Section 61.13003, Florida Statutes, which took effect in Oct. 2007
- "Divorce - Guiding You Through The Process" DVD; Revodition, LLC in 2007
- Commentator for "Matrimonial Law," El Nuevo Herald in 2003
- Commentator for "El Muy Popular Arreglo Pre-Nupcial," Cristina in 2002
- "All Roads Lead to Tallahassee - Winning For Florida's Families," 2016 Leadership Retreat, The Florida Bar, Family Law Section, St. Augustine, August 2016
- "How to Be A More Effective Facilitator in the Mediation Process," 2016 Dispute Resolution Center 24th Annual Conference, Dimensions of Diversity. Co-presenter, Orlando, August 2016
- "Alimony," Presenter, 2016 College for Advanced Judicial Studies (AJS), Orlando, May 2016
- "How to Market Your Practice," ABA Family Law Litigation Committee, December 2015.
- "Attorney's Fees," Presenter, 2015 Marital and Family Law Review Course, The Family Law Section of the Florida Bar/AAML, February 2015.
- "So You Think You Know About The Florida Bar?" Presenter, 2014 Leadership Retreat, The Florida Bar, Family Law Section, St. Petersburg, September 2014
- "Making Mediation Meaningful," AAML, Moderator, April 2014.
- "Litigating a Family Law Case," Presenter, Dade County Bar Association Family Law Committee, December 2013.
- "Testifying as the GAL," The Florida Bar Family Law Guardian Ad Litem Pilot Training Program, October 2013.
- "Opening Statements," at the Matrimonial Trial Advocacy Workshop, The Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, August 2013
- "Preservation of Issues for Appellate Review and Establishing a Proper Record and Final Judgment Checklist," The Florida Bar, Family Law Section, June 2012
- "The Effect of the Changing Color of Our Nation on the Practice of Family Law - Practical Application to Family Mediation, " The American Bar Association - Family Law Section's Spring CLE Conference, Miami Beach, April 2012
- "Alimony" at the 20th "Nuts & Bolts" of Family Law, DCBA Family Courts Committee, January, 2012.
- "Mechanics of the Marital & Family Law Certification Exam," The Florida Bar, November, 2011,2013.
- "Mediation & Collaboration ADR in Marital & Family Law Cases," The Florida Bar, Family Law Section, Fall Retreat, Boston, October, 2011.
- "Preserving Error on Appeal" and "Final Judgments" at the "Matrimonial Trial Advocacy Workshop", The Family Law Section to the Florida Bar, August, 2011.
- "2011 Legislative Update" at The 26th Annual View From the Bench, 11th Judicial Circuit, May, 2011
- "Final Judgments" at the "Matrimonial Trial Advocacy Seminar Workshop", The Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, August, 2009
- "Legislative Update" at the Collier County and Lee County Annual Family Law Forum, October, 2009
- "Stock Options: It's Opt to You!" at The Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, September, 2009
- "2007 Domestic Relations Legislative Update" July, 2007
- "Equitable Distribution" and "Alimony" Basic Family Law Seminar, The Florida Bar, March and November of 2007
- Moderator for "Foreclosures in Family Law Cases- And the Consequences" and a Moderator for "What You Need to Know about Domestic Violence in Florida," 2007.
- Guest speaker in 2006 for Telemundo on "Virtual Visitation"
- Frequent guest speaker at the University of the Miami School of Law.
- Appointed to the Supreme Court's Commission on Professionalism (2014-2018)
- Selected as a "Top Lawyer" in South Florida in the 2015, 2014 South Florida Legal Guide for Marital and Family Law
- Featured in Florida Super Lawyers and selected as one of the top 5% Marital and Family Lawyers in Florida from 2006 through 2016
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Bar Register of Preeiment Women Lawyers 2011-2013 by Martindale- Hubbell
- Recognized for excellence in the family law field by the American Registry as Top Attorney in Florida.
- Distinguished through peer review as having attained the highest level of legal ability and professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability and diligence.
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA) as Family Law Advocate
- Dade County Bar Association (Member, Family Law, Probate & Guardianship)
- Broward County Bar Association (Member, Family Law)
- American Bar Association (Member, Family Law)
- Broward County Matrimonial Lawyers Group (Member)
- The Florida Bar Family Law Section since 1994
- Immediate Past-Chair 2016-2017
- Chair, 2015-2016
- Chair-elect, 2014-2015
- Treasurer, 2013 -2014
- Secretary, 2012-2013
- Executive Council Member, 2007-2012
- Legislation Committee
- Co-Chair, 2010-2012
- Co-Vice Chair, 2009-2010
- Secretary, 2007-2008
- Children's Issues Committee
- Support Issues, 1998-2012
- Rules & Forms, 1997-1997
- Commentator, 1999-2001
- First Family Law American Inn of Court (Member 1993-; Barrister and Secretary, 2003; Treasurer, 2004; President-Elect, 2005; President, 2006, Emeritus, 2007 (CLE Liaison 2007-2014)
- Cuban-American Bar Association (Legislation, Mentoring Committees) Mentor-CABA Mentoring Program, 2006-2007
- Broward County Hispanic Bar Association, 2005 - present
- The Women's Fund of Miami-Dade, 2011-present